September 11, 2015 | By Megan Cheung |
When planning a beach holiday, there’s one more box to tick off besides destination, hotel and location: vacation type. Don’t know what that is? No worries, we’re here to explain and help you find yours. Take this short quiz and you’ll be one step closer to finding the palm tree- and piña colada-filled vacation that’s right for you.
When on vacation, what does your perfect day look like?
- I like to get an early start and go snorkeling as a family, followed by an afternoon of golf while the kids enjoy fun activities.
- Quiet and soothing – I want to be pampered from head to toe. First up, a hot steam bath to relax and then a heavenly massage by the sea.
- It doesn’t matter what time I wake up because I’ll be ordering room service. I’ll probably head to the pool at some point and order a mojito from my lounge chair. If only I could live like this everyday…
- I’ll play tennis in the morning, soak up the sun in the afternoon, and enjoy a private hot tub at sunset.
How do you feel about kids?
- Love ‘em, of course! Vacations are all about creating lifelong family memories.
- Kids are great, but this trip is really about recharging my batteries.
- As long as they’re happy, I’m happy. Bonus if I don’t have to lift a single finger. I won’t say no to some alone time with my honey either.
- No, thanks! I want a holiday geared towards 18+.
It’s been 7 nights in paradise, your bags are packed and it’s almost time to leave for the airport. How do you feel?
- Wonderful! The week went by quickly because I was having fun with my family and I can’t wait until the next adventure together.
- Content, recharged and ready to take on any challenges at home.
- Amazing – I slept in because I had a late checkout and managed to squeeze in one last massage while my bags were packed for me.
- Sentimental and romantic. The trip celebrated my relationship with my partner and our bond is stronger than ever.
Now that you’ve finished our quiz, tally up your answers to find out which vacation type best reflects your needs:
Answer 1 >> 1 point
Answer 2 >> 2 points
Answer 3 >> 3 points
Answer 4 >> 4 points
So, what is your idea of the perfect vacation?
3-5 points >> Family Vacation
The happiness of your family is a priority and a vacation without your kids is unimaginable. To ensure everyone has a great time, be sure to check out our Play hotels (family-friendly resorts where kids stay and eat free) such as the Allegro Papagayo in Liberia, Costa Rica. Surrounded by beaches, rainforests and active volcanoes, this resort is the epicenter of adventure. From kayaking to nature excursions, there’s plenty to keep the kids active and entertained.
If you prefer to head to a Caribbean island, we recommend the Be Live Collection Marien in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. With a supervised kids club, take some time for yourself and head to the spa or play a round at the nearby Playa Dorada golf course.
No matter which hotel you choose, keep in mind that our Play hotels also come with exclusive flight perks: pre-boarding privileges, free seat selection and a $10 meal voucher for every family member. Your family vacation truly starts at the airport.
6-8 points >> Spa Vacation
Where are the best indulgences found? Only at our collection of Spa hotels, of course.
Our top pick is the Melia Buenavista All-Inclusive Royal Service & Spa in Santa Clara, Cuba. Designed with total privacy in mind, this adults-only resort is an oasis for rejuvenation. Choose from a range of body treatments and massages at its full-service spa and we promise you’ll leave feeling invigorated.
If you want to spoil yourself and you’re travelling with children, we suggest the neighbouring Melia Las Dunas. This popular hotel provides the perfect balance as it’s tailored for families seeking activity and adults looking to relax. The supervised kids clubs arrange activities according to age, which gives you the chance to retreat to Spa Aguas Claras for a Japanese Shiatsu massage. The kids will be so busy, you’ll even have time for that much-needed pedicure.
9-11 points >> Luxury Vacation
You want the royal treatment and nothing less. That’s what vacations means, after all. For an unforgettable luxurious holiday, you will definitely want to stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel Paraiso. Located directly on the beach in Playa Paraiso, in the heart of Riviera Maya, this adults-only, dream paradise has 5 shiny stars attached to its name – and for good reason. At check-in, enjoy a warm welcome with champagne and a minibar stocked with your favourites. By mid-afternoon, lounge poolside and accept a cold beverage from your butler. For dinner, choose between 2 buffets and 4 à la carte restaurants, or perhaps make use of the 24-hour room service. Come bedtime, select the right pillow for your tired head from the elite pillow menu. Rest now because tomorrow will be busy – there’s a Par 72, 18-hole golf course on site, a casino and spa in the massive Complex Shopping Centre, and numerous sports to try.
For similar vacation ideas, discover our complete list of Luxury hotels.
12 points >> Adults-Only Vacation
You want serenity, intimate moments and above all, a kid-free holiday. Whether you’re celebrating a honeymoon, anniversary, or traveling just because, Adults-only hotels are right up your alley. The Luxury Bahia Principe Bouganville Don Pablo Collection in La Romana, Dominican Republic, for instance, caters to couples and guests aged 18+. With no less than 8 bars on its premises, local area tours (a visit to Catalina Island is a must!) and nightly entertainment, this resort provides the ideal setting to unwind and let loose. For something different, try merengue, bachata and salsa classes. For something more sensual, try the spa’s aromatic relaxation treatment. Deep breath in and exhale, it doesn’t get much better than this.
Curious about what other vacation types exist? Check out our complete list of vacation types to find your dream holiday.