Meet Rodolfo – ACV Cayo Santa Maria (Santa Clara) Rep
August 23, 2016 | By Megan Cheung |
Planning a trip to Cayo Santa Maria (Santa Clara), Cuba? From travel tips to local recommendations, get the skinny from someone who knows it best.
2. How long have you been an ACV destination rep?
3. Describe Cayo Santa Maria in 3 words.
Secluded, charming, the perfect hideaway.
4. Why should people visit?
It has a nice temperature year round and it’s quiet. It offers an incredible colour of the ocean and there is fine sand all over the island for everyone to enjoy.
5. How is Cayo Santa Maria different from Varadero, Holguin, Cayo Coco, and Havana?
This is a quiet area, a little far from the city. However, there are two markets 15 minutes from every hotel and lots of interesting tours to discover the surrounding areas.
6. What is a surprising or little known fact?
I’ll give you both! Surprising fact: to get to Cayo Santa Maria, you cross a 48 KM causeway built in the ocean. Little known fact: there are fresh water lagoons as part of a national park to the eastern side of the island.
7. What local dish do you recommend and where is the best place to try it?
The Cuban congri (rice and black beans cooked together with spices) is the most representative dish from Cuba along with the roasted pork and boiled manioc (yuca in Spanish). The best place is a casa on the main island; you can also try it during the jeep safari tour.
8. Where is your favourite spot to watch the sunset?
In the middle of the ocean on the Sunset Cruise.
9. Are you able to teach us a few local expressions?
¿Como estas? = How are you?
¿Que bola? = What`s up?
10. In your opinion, what is a must-do in Cayo Santa Maria?
The catamaran excursion, which includes snorkelling in the world’s second largest coral reef and the best lobster lunch ever.
11. What is the best beach and why?
Megano beach at the Iberostar Ensenachos because of its horseshoe shape and because Cayo Santa Maria island shields it from the northern winds, so it looks like a natural pool.
Curious to know more about Cayo Santa Maria (Santa Clara), Cuba? Find out more on our website.